In 2016, the Alexandria Area community, through Horizon Public Health, was awarded a five-year, million-dollar Planning and Implementation grant from the Minnesota Department of Human Services and Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division to reduce underage drinking in our area. Through this grant, our community had the opportunity to form a community coalition to address this issue. Our coalition is made up of individuals from the following sectors:
- Youth-serving Organizations
- Law Enforcement
- Justice/CorrectionsSpiritual Organizations
- Civic and Volunteer Groups
- Healthcare Professionals
- Other Organizations Involved in Reducing Alcohol Use
- Underserved Groups
Here are some strategies we are working on:
- Transforming our communities through the “Our Voice, Our Choice” media campaign that challenges perceptions and promotes Positive Community Norms.
- Giving youth and community members the opportunity to participate in leadership training, positive parent and student engagement, Responsible Beverage Server Training, and more!
- Empowering an active youth group filled with students who pledge to be alcohol and drug free and to encourage their peers to do the same.
- Creating an active community coalition that works together to promote healthy and safe decisions.